We receive a considerable number of calls every day. Each caller deserves our full attention to answer their question or resolve their issue. Because of this, our response time may be delayed.

To better assist our owners, tenants and prospective tenants, we have attempted to answer most common questions, provide forms and information that will cover most situations.
  • Our tenants can access our website to pay their rent, submit a maintenance request and find answers to common questions.
  • For prospective tenants, all of our available rentals are listed on our website. Instructions regarding our application process as well as our application can be found online.
  • We have put many of our commonly used forms online for easy access.

We have endeavored to provide as much information as possible online. In the event you are unable to find the information or form you need, please call our office at 913-856-2340 and we will be happy to assist you. If you call and no one answers, please leave a message. We do return all calls.

As a tenant, what are my responsibilities?

Typically tenants are responsible for the following:
  • Securing all utilities for home, unless otherwise provided
  • Lawn care, unless otherwise provided
  • Changing the furnace/air conditioning filters regularly
  • Minor repairs to your home, but not limited to, replacing light bulbs and clogged drains
  • Changing the smoke detector batteries during tenancy (these are new when you move in)
  • Pest control
  • Complying with all Homeowner Association Rules
  • Following the terms of your lease. 


When is my rent due?

Rent payments are due on the 1st of the month. We allow you three days grace period. On the 4th of the month, we add a $25.00 late fee if the rent has not been paid and then every day after that, we add another $5.00 until the rent is paid. We must receive your rental payment before the 3rd of each month to avoid any late charges. We are not responsible for postal delays or delays caused by use of computer type payments.

What are acceptable forms of payment of my rent?

Payment can be made by money order, cashier’s check, cash, bill pay bank check, or by using our website payment system which is verified through PayPal. Please allow 3-5 business days for a bill pay or website payment to be received by our office. 

​Pay your rent here: 
(Follow this link to pay your rent online. Additional fees could apply depending on your method of paying.)

What happens if I am unable to pay my rent?

Rent payments not received on or before the 4th of the month result in a notice being sent on the 5th of the month that you are in violation of the terms of your lease and payment is due immediately along with late fees assessed. If payment in full is not received by the 15th, eviction proceeding may begin.

What is a Notice to Vacate for Non-Payment of Rent?

A Notice to Vacate for Non-Payment of Rent is the first step in the eviction process and is a serious matter. If a ruling is made in favor of the landlord, it can be reflected on your credit record of up to 10 years and adversely affect your ability to secure future housing and credit. Fees for an eviction can be expensive and are the responsibility of the tenant.

Can I use my security deposit to cover my last month’s rent payment?

No. Your security deposit is used to cover damages only.


What do I need to do when my lease expires?

Your lease contains an expiration date. If written notice of termination is not provided in accordance with the terms of your lease, 30 days unless otherwise stated, it converts to a month to month lease and remains in full force until written notice is provided. You are responsible for all rent monies until the lease has been properly terminated.  

How do I terminate my lease?

Most of our leases require a 30 day written notice to terminate by either party.  

What do I do if I need to change the terms of the lease?

Your lease is a legally binding contract between you and the landlord and cannot be changed without the written agreement of both parties. If a situation arises whereby you feel the need to change your lease, please contact our office to discuss your circumstances.


What if I need a routine repair or maintenance?

All routine maintenance requests can be reported to us by calling our office at 913-856-2340. Service Requests Please follow the link to the Service Request page.​

What do I do if I have an emergency?

If the emergency threatens life, call 911. When safe to do so be sure to also notify our office.

For all other emergencies, consult the information you were provided at move-in or updated in a subsequent notification. There is someone on call for after-hours emergencies. Please call 913-269-0741 for after-hours emergencies.

Do I have to be present for service personnel?

You do not need to be present unless that is your preference. We only work with insured, and where, required licensed vendors. We require them to exhibit the professionalism in their work and manner. If you wish to be present when the service is being done, the technician will make 3 attempts to contact you. If unable to do so, the request will be terminated. If the issue is considered to be a peril to either person or property, the technician will be allowed access to the property. If you desire the work to be completed without you being present, after setting the appointment with the vendor, please notify the office to authorize the release of keys to the vendor. If you chose to be present for the repair appointment, please be in attendance. Failure to be at the appointment could result in a trip charge by the vendor that you will be responsible for paying. Minors, under the age of 18, are not responsible persons to be left at the premises to meet any vendors. This could result in a trip charge by the vendor.  

How quickly can I expect my request to be acted upon?

There are many factors that affect the scheduling of service requests. We do our utmost to complete service orders as quickly as possible. You will typically be contacted the same day as the request is made to ascertain the scope of the request and determine what action needs to be taken.

What if I want to do the work myself? Can I sent you the bill?

Unauthorized repairs will not be reimbursed.

Can I withhold my rent if I do not like the way repairs were completed?

No. You are not permitted to withhold rent for failure to fix items. Please contact our office at 913-856-2340 to discuss the issue.

Can I change the locks?

Should you desire to change them during your tenancy, you must first receive written approval from our office. The work must be done by a licensed locksmith and one key to each new lock must be provided to our office within 24 hours of the work being done. All keys must be turned in to our office at the end of your lease. You will be responsible for all costs.

What if I want to paint my home?

You must receive written authorization from us to paint any part of the property. Paint samples must be provided. Neutral colors are generally approved.


What do I need to do when it is time to move out?

Here is a copy of Moving Out Instructions to guide you through the process.

When do I have to return the keys?

Keys must be returned, to the office, by 5 pm of the last day of your lease. You are not officially moved out until the keys are returned and you may be responsible for charges until the keys are returned.

What happens to my security deposit after I move out?

Once you have vacated the property, a member of our staff will perform a move-out inspection. This inspection will be compared to your move-in report.  

How soon can I get my security deposit back?

We finalize the disposition of security deposits within 30 days from the date in which your lease expired or the date you moved-out (turned in keys), whichever is later, and checks are mailed to your forwarding address on that day.

What if my security deposit is not sufficient to cover my charges?

We will send you a notice along with receipts or estimates supporting the charges. To avoid further action, payment should be made immediately.

What if I do not pay my outstanding charges?

After 30 days from invoicing, your account will be turned over to an attorney for legal action or a collection agency and may become part of your credit history.

What if I disagree with the disposition of my security deposit?

If you disagree with the disposition of your security deposit, you must submit your dispute in writing within 30 days of the disposition notice.

Pets: Please remember that all pets must be approved by the landlord and management company. There are additional terms and conditions regarding pets. Not all pets are allowed. Dogs that have any line of Doberman Pinschers, Rottweiler, Siberian Huskie, Alaskan Malamute, Boxers, Bull Mastiff, American Pit Bulls, American Staffordshire Terriors, Akitas, German Shepards, Chow Chows, Presa Canario and with wolf, coyote or dingo lineage, and dogs with a previous history of viciousness will not be allowed. 

:: Current Renters
HomePropertiesRentersOwnersResourcesContact Us

Top Rents, LLC       526 E. Main, Gardner, KS 66030          (913) 856-2340
(913) 856-2340
Connect with us on: